Monday, November 24, 2008

Pick a Card: 2008 Donruss Threads Baseball Americana Signatures

Time for another new feature on the blog. Pick a card. The idea is simple: I'll post a gallery, link to a gallery or a checklist and you pick the one (or two if you have to pick two) you'd like to add to your collection.

Let's kick it off with 2008 Donruss Threads Baseball Americana Signatures. Here's a few samples:

 
 

For a checklist of the set and many more images, click here.

My first choice is the John Cusack. Firstly, I like my baseball cards to have a license attached to them. Non-sport cards, it doesn't matter so much. Cusack is one of my favorite actors. Say Anything and Eight Men Out are in the regular-viewing rotation. Grosse Pointe Blank is an under-appreciated gem in my books.

Although Cusack has had his signature in Donruss Americana II earlier in the year, the dark color photo used meant the autograph was hardly visible. Cusack also had an autograph in Upper Deck's Igor a couple of months ago, but I don't want to attach him to an ugly cartoon character.

My honorable mention is Hank Aaron. Although this set isn't licensed, I can overlook it due to the fact that he's pictured as a kind old soul, decked out for a night of dancing. There's no airbrushed logos, carefully angled shots or other cover-ups. It's just a happy guy looking like he's reminscing about the old days.

So what card would you pick? Here's the gallery (minus a couple of super-rare ones I haven't seen pop up yet).

4 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

I'd like Pete Rose and/or Johnny Bench (since I'm a huge Reds fan). The non-athlete autos would be fun to pull - but I'm not sure what I'd do with them...

Captain Canuck said...

any chance to get a Hank, I'll take it.
Bernie Mac for the non-sport side of me...

Paul Hadsall said...

I guess Eddie Murray. The lack of a license kills a lot of my interest in the baseball players, and there's really no one on the non-sports side that I'm a big fan of.

gcrl said...

from this set, i would take ed mcmahon. like paul said, the lack of license neutralizes the allure of the baseball players.
ed was a fixture on one of the premier television programs in history. he gets my vote, even if he was sloshed from time to time.