Thursday, July 30, 2009

One of These Things is Doing It's Own Thing, One of These Things Desn't Belong

The day before I disappeared from my home computer a surprise package from Jim at GCRL arrived on my doorstep. I didn't have time to go through them until I came back, despite my pain and suspense.

Jim sent an awesome bunch of cards, mostly Expos but a couple John Jaha inserts and even a Canadian or two thrown in for good measure. I've got a few highlights and observations but first, a game. Play the video here and follow the instructions (just alter "cookie" for "baseball player" and ignore quantity). There's something strange about one of these below. Can you guess? They're arranged in numerical order, so as not to give any hints.



These cool little pieces aren't cards but rather mini-posters from 1981 O-Pee-Chee. Jim included seven of the 24 cards in the set, which I'm guessing are divided between 12 Expos and 12 Blue Jays. I looove fun little oddball finds, especially when they're Canadian in origin.

Moving on to some more goodies Jim sent, were these four cards. Have you ever stopped to notice how cool Rondell White is? The guy just oozes with it - at least he did for the era. I'm not sure if the lines in his fair are quite back yet. Jim included four different Ronell's and in each one he just has this aura of cool about him. Take a peak:


So if you need tips on cool and you can't find Rico Suave, I'm sure Rondell can be tracked down and offer some pointers.

While there were oodles of neat cards from Jim, this is my favorite:


That would be Ron Hunt making an awkward "action" pose for the camera. It's not a traditional baseball card but rather a postcard. I'd imagine it's from the early 1970s as Hunt was an Expos for less than four seasons between 1971 and 1974. From the shadowy bright lights, to the simple background, to the awkward look on Hunt's face to the facsimile autograph, this postcard just reeks of good simplicity.

Over the years I've amassed a few similar postcards but the Hunt is one I know I have not seen until now.

Thanks again, Jim, for the awesome bunch of cards!

No comments: