Saturday, May 22, 2010

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! Random Pack Break: The Ren and Stimpy Show Triple Shot

The Ren and Stimpy Show is one of the strangest, most bizarre shows I've ever had the pleasure of being addicted to. Somehow Topps' 1993 set based on the cartoon has evaded me. While at the card store a while back I came across a cheap brick of old non-sport packs that I snatched up seeing a few of these on an end.

Blending old-school Topps with new fandangled prism technology (at least for the time), each pack has four cards and one sticker parallel. So it's fancy, but not exactly complicated.

Here's a sampling from a trio of packs.

Pack One:



Sticker



The first card sums these up perfectly. Oh joy!! Shiny, silly and subversive, the artwork captures what Ren and Stimpy was all about. Card backs are classic Topps puzzles! Double bonus. My one beef is that the stickers look pretty much exactly like the cards. The tiny numbering on the backs differentiate cards and stickers.

Pack 2:



Sticker



Two packs, one double. Another thing that I love about the set are the captions. They could easily be used to sum up my feelings on various things. So watch out for random postings.

Pack 3:



Sticker



I'm officially going after this set now so if you have any extra cards kicking around, please let me know. As much as I love stickers, they seem redundant in this set so I'm passing on those if anyone needs the ones I have.

Dang, this set is great.



 

3 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

Is that contest winner Anthony on one of the cards? If so, kudos to Anthony!

Be grateful that this was before the trends of today. I'm a huge Ren & Stimpy fan, but I don't think I would want a show-used Magic Nose Goblin card in my collection.

Offy said...

1995I love this set and busted two boxes of it when it first came out. I also busted a box of Topps Nicktoon set because it had Ren & Stimpy in it. When I was lucky enough to meet John Kricfalusi, I got a couple of cards signed.

I definitely have some duplicates somewhere, but I'm thinking that they're most likely still in storage. Once I finished my first set, I started trying to put sets together of each type of foil shapes, but I didn't get very far with that.

If I have any duplicates of the Ren & Stimpy Nicktoon cards would you be interested in those as well?

Ryan Cracknell said...

Thanks, Offy! Actually I'd be interested in any of the Nicktoons cards. That was a fun set too. I recall picking up a few packs. I love the Ren and Stimpy and my kids are getting into some of the other shows that are in the set via reruns. Let me know. Thanks!