Sunday, December 21, 2008

Aren't You Glad You Didn't Buy Any 2008 Stadium Club Hobby Packs?

2008 Stadium Club hobby packs originally hit with a suggested price of $25. In them you got a few base cards and an autograph. Here's a quick look at the kind of "value" you might have received:

 
 

I picked up each of these on eBay from one seller. My total cost with shipping: $10 and a bit of couch change. So for less than half the cost of one pack I was able to get four packs worth of "hits." There's a few okay autographs out there and the Longoria, but with some patience I'm wondering if I can build a complete set with the rookie autographs for less than the cost of one hobby box. My guess is very likely.

While it's good for me, sellers are losing big time with this product. It's too bad because the base design is one of the best of the year. But Topps went and added an unnecessary gimmick that killed its potential. So unless the brand is overhauled again in 2009, dealers are going to avoid it and we can likely say good-bye to Stadium Club once again.

No comments: