Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Basement Treasures: Mad Breaks the Pete Rose Scandal in 1987

Digging in a box in the basement, I came across some forgotten treasures. Here is one of them.

 
I was never a huge Mad Magazine fan, although I picked up the occasional copy if I was waiting for a ferry or if the cover gave me a laugh. I was and still am a big fan of Pee Wee's Playhouse. Sure, the guy's a perv but there's lots of them out there. It still doesn't take away from the fact it was one of the weirdest shows of my childhood.
I'm guessing by the price tag that I picked up this issue at a used book store. It's from 1987 and promises a look at baseball inside. There's no sporting feature, but there are several diamond-themed comic strips throughout. Here's one that caught my attention:
What are the chances the Mad crew knew about Pete Rose?

1 comment:

--David said...

Man, I used to have a ton of MAD mags when I was a kid. My favorite part was folding the picture in the back... Surprisingly, I was not very good at it, though, and often had several dozen creases before I found the surprise...