Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rare 1889 Baseball Card Poster Heading to the Block Next Month

I've got two posters on my wall: a framed print entitled Legends of Baseball II that I got for Christmas many years ago that has some classy old-time ball cards and a Godfather poster honoring the 25th Anniversary theatrical release that I snagged from the back room of a theatre I worked for back in university. Both are very office-worthy in my books. I'd have them in the living room but I do share the house with my wife and kids so that's not really an option.

Next month someone's going to get an instant office makeover should they win the following from Leylands:

 
From 1889, the poster advertises the Goodwin Round Album - a nine-page full-color premium that was available as a mail-away offer. Two other posters are known to exist but they've got a different format. 
The unrestored piece of art includes a handful of Hall of Famers such as Cap Anson, Charles Comiskey and Mickey Welch. It was discovered at an estate sale in March. The story has two dealers passing it over before a family made the connection of baseball, cards and old and snatched it up. 
Its estimated value is $100,000 and will have a reserve of $45,000 when bidding opens in May at Lelands.com.

No comments: