Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is This the Worst Sticker Autograph of All Time?



Browsing on eBay, I came across this card from 2005 Playoff Prime Cuts. The card design overall is very attractive. The alternating game-used pieces show that they're just not oversized single relics posing as a dual. It's got an all-time great. And it has an autograph.  What the heck is going on with that autograph?

I've got a few beefs with sticker autographs, but a big one is the fact that often they don't hold the entire signature. This is probably the most extreme example I've seen. It looks as though a good half of Aaron's autograph is gone, a victim to the edges. Add to that a bit of apparent smudging and you've got one immensely disappointing card.

Although I understand Aaron hasn't been of the greatest health in recent years, which would affect his signatures, it doesn't excuse Playoff for letting this one out there. It's called quality control. If something isn't at it's greatest, it should be removed from distribution. I feel bad for the person who pulled the card. It'd be great without the autograph and amazing if the scribble was even half an inch higher. But as it stands, ick!

3 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Hank signed some pretty awful ones for 2008 Prime Cuts as well.

I think both Hank and Willie should sign a little less as both have gotten very sloppy with age.

Anonymous said...

I agree. There's no way that should have made it through quality control.

Rob- AKA "VOTC" said...

That was an expansive product too. I would have been pissed